Lemon Coconut Slice


Is anyone else a little fed up with the I Quit Sugar brigade? Well never mind me, but the people who frequent my north shore and city cafes surely are. Double orders of cakes over the past couple of weeks, which is outstanding, but I am in the middle of planning a large party and my work load is interfering. I realise this is a first world problem, but it always seems that life chooses the most inconvenient times to go berserk. 

So what do I do? Add a new product.

These lemon bars may or may not fit into my retro series, but I made them for Bacino because they needed something lemony and a bit more robust and homely than a poshly piped meringue tart. There is nothing worse than seeing my pretty little tarts smudged and withered after a couple of days in the display. So I called time and offered these lemon bars instead. And, double orders! So far, so good. Shhh, just don't tell anyone they're about a thousand times easier to make.



Lemon Coconut Slice
(Makes 12)

Base:
80g butter, melted
2/3 cup self-raising flour
2/3 cup desiccated coconut
1/3 cup caster sugar

Topping:
2 eggs
3/4 cup caster sugar
Zest of one lemon
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup plain flour

Preheat oven to 180C. Grease a 20cm square cake tin and line with non-stick baking paper, making sure the paper overhangs the tin slightly on each side.
Combine dry ingredients for the base in a bowl and mix in the melted butter.
Press mixture into prepared tin and smooth with the back of a spoon.
Bake for 10 mins or until light golden. Set aside on a wire rack while you prepare topping.
Reduce oven to 170C.
For topping, whisk together the eggs, sugar and zest until pale and thick.
Whisk in juice, then flour.
Pour topping onto the base and carefully place back in the oven for 12-15 mins or until light golden brown and the centre doesn't wobble.
Cool completely. Loosen the slice with a knife if needed and then gently lift it from the tin by holding the edges of the overhanging paper.
Cut into straight slices using a knife dipped into hot water and dried with paper towel.
Dust with icing sugar before serving. Slice will keep in the fridge for up to a week.


Comments

Popular Posts